Skip to main content

Shouldn’t validating a checkbox be easier than this?

 

Well it's been a while since I have done a post but with changing jobs recently and life in general getting in the way I just couldn’t seem to find the time. However, now I have a spare five minutes I thought I would fire off a post :)

So what's the post about? Validating a checkbox web control. Now I know your reading this thinking that's easy all you need is a custom validator and a event handler in your code behind and job done? Well in most cases yes I would agree with you. However, my latest project (a legacy application) uses code generation to create the vast majority of the ASP.NET pages and user controls. Therefore it’s difficult for me to include anything other than the standard set of ASP.NET validators or something which inherits off the “BaseValidator” and get it working correctly in the XSLT templates generating the code. Because of this I decided to create my own validator for the checkbox web control.

So how do we get started? Well first off you need to inherit off the “BaseValidator” and then override the required "EvaluateIsValid" method. Once done you can then write some simple logic to ensure your checkbox has been checked. As shown below.

   1:  public class CheckBoxValidator : BaseValidator
   2:  {
   3:      protected override bool EvaluateIsValid()
   4:      {
   5:          var controlValue = this.GetControlValidationValue(this.ControlToValidate);
   6:          bool checkBoxValue;
   7:          var hasBeenParsed = bool.TryParse(controlValue, out checkBoxValue);
   8:   
   9:          var result = hasBeenParsed && checkBoxValue;
  10:          return result;
  11:      }
  12:  }

 

So is that it all done? Well no because the out of the box checkbox control is missing an important thing. The "ValidationProperty" attribute. This attribute is used within the base validator to work out which property on the control being validated should to used when getting the control validation value. In order to solve this problem you will need to create your own version of the checkbox control by inheriting from it and adding the required attribute as shown below.

   1:  [ValidationProperty("Checked")]
   2:  public class ValidationCheckBox : CheckBox
   3:  {
   4:  }

 

Ok so now we have our own custom checkbox and checkbox validator we can finally validate those lovely checkboxes. However, if you recall from a bit earlier I said this is a legacy application and although it is to a large degree generated for me I'm not sure I really want to find all the places where a standard checkbox web control should be switched out for my super custom one. So what's the answer? Tag mapping.

Now tag mapping if you haven't heard of it before enables you to define within the web.config that tag "A" should instead be mapped to tag "B". You can see below how I used it to always return my custom checkbox whether a standard asp.net checkbox should be used.

  1: <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID">
  2:   <tagMapping>
  3:     <add tagType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox" mappedTagType="Demo.Web.Code.Controls.ValidationCheckBox" />
  4:   </tagMapping>
  5: </pages>
Now that’s done I don’t have to change a single line of code to get my new checkbox control in place and get my validations working. One finial point though or really a question is why haven’t Microsoft just created this type of validator and given it to me straight out of the box? Yes I know I could change the checkbox to some radio buttons to achieve a similar thing, but sometimes I don’t get the finial say in the design of a page and this type of validator would come in handy I think for a lot of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X509 certificate encryption fun :-)

Recently I needed to encrypt data on a server and allow a limited number of service accounts the ability to decrypt that data so it was as safe as possible. The approach I took to achieve this was by using a X509 certificate and it's ability to allow you to encrypt information via it's public key and decrypt that information through the private key. The key parts of this approach are: - Create a certificate - Ensure the KeySpec of the certificate is set up correctly to allow for encryption e.g. "KeyExchange" or "None" if you are doing this via PowerShell - Set the security on the private keys so only specific user accounts can access it and decrypt information encrypted via the public key. Step 1 - Create a certificate to use The easiest way to get a quick example going is via PowerShell to create a dummy root certificate and the one we will use for encrypting and decrypting. $rootCert = New-SelfSignedCertificate -CertStoreLocation Cert:\LocalMachine\My -Dns

Why poor tests are worse than no tests

It's been awhile since I wrote my last blog post so I thought I would resume with a subject close to my heart...unit testing. Unit testing is tricky and lots of people don't focus enough on the key pillars that make up a good test: Trustworthy - Can the test be run multiple times and work in the same way each time? A test which works sometimes and fails randomly when a build happens during continuous integration(CI) is just going to be ignored and has no benefit to the team. Worse still, a bad test can give you a false impression that everything is fine when really it's not.   Readable - Can you look at the name of the test and work out what it's meant to do? For example, a test named "It_works_and_doesnt_fail" isn't as good as "It_will_add_a_valid_order_without_errors". Maintainable - Is your test simple to setup and refactor when code changes are made in the rest of the system? The

SharePoint - Search Service Application (SSA) - Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation

On my current project I needed to adjust and add some search mapping via SharePoint's Central Administration web site. This should have been very straight forward as you have the ability to add managed properties and mappings easily via the UI. However, when I went to save my changes I got the error "The settings could not be saved because of an internal error: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation". Now this was very confusing as I am administrator on the server and added into all of the correct SharePoint groups. I also tried the same action via PowerShell and got the same error.   After a few hours of research and head scratching I managed to get to the bottom of the problem which is the way my user account had been added as an administrator to the server. In the company I work for to make it easier to manage the administrators on a server a group is created in active directory called " servername_admins ". This group is added to the local administra